Saturday Dec, 07 2019 11:53:21 AM

CBCP head seeks help for underserved quake-hit areas

Church • 16:30 PM Mon Nov 11, 2019
220
By: 
Roy Lagarde/CBCP
Earthquake victims rest in their makeshift tent in Brgy. Kisante, Makilala, North Cotabato, Nov. 4, 2019. PHOTO FROM THE DIOCESE OF KIDAPAWAN

KIDAPAWAN CITY - The head of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has called attention to the plight of earthquake victims “who are less served.”

Archbishop Romulo Valles of Davao, CBCP President, said that focus must also be turned to thousands of victims who are not in big evacuation centers.

He said that many families were camped in makeshift shelters near their damaged homes “who received very little attention”.

“They are less served because they are not in the very visible big evacuation centers,” Valles said.

The CBCP head made the appeal after visiting the earthquake victims in North Cotabato and Davao del Sur on Monday.

He said church relief efforts will need more support as they also turn their attention in reaching out to underserved victims.

“Please continue helping the suffering earthquake-stricken people in the dioceses of Digos and Kidapawan. Their suffering still continues,” Valles said.

“They need food, water and better tents, and possibly medical attention,” he added.

On Wednesday, Valles discussed with other bishops under the Metropolitan Province of Davao on how to further help the affected dioceses.

“Please let us continue to pray for these suffering people,” Valles added.

“Let us also pray for ourselves that we will never get tired of extending our love and care for the people in the Diocese of Digos and Diocese of Kidapawan,” he said.

The series of devastating earthquakes that rocked parts of Mindanao last month has left at least 22 people dead in its wake and hurt hundreds of others.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said more than 180,000 people are affected due to the tremor with many families requiring humanitarian assistance. Of these, 4,800 families or 24,000 people took refuge in 34 evacuation centers.

Nearly 30,000 infrastructures were also reported damaged including houses, schools, churches, health facilities, commercial establishments, roads and bridges.

8th fire hits Kabacan, North Cotabato in 6 days

KIDAPAWAN CITY  – A fire of still unknown origin razed to the ground four business establishments and a boarding house in Kabacan, North...

Livelihood training in poorest Mindanao provinces slated in 2020

DAVAO CITY -- A team of agriculture experts will conduct a lecture series on livelihood projects targeting Mindanao's poorest provinces,...

New 602nd Brigade chief vows intensified drive vs. terrorists

CAMP LUCERO, North Cotabato – A seasoned military officer from the office of Department of National Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana has...

In Maguindanao, Sen. Bong Go opens 53rd Malasakit Center

DATU HOFER, Maguindanao (Dec. 6) – Another “Malasakit Center” has been added to a pro-poor health program that aims to prove the...

Soldiers seize another Dawlah Islamiya arms cache

MAGUINDANAO --- Soldiers seized Thursday assault rifles, an anti-tank rocket and explosives scattered in an abandoned Dawlah Islamiya lair...